Single-Minute Digit Exchange of Dies (SMED) is a lean production method for reducing waste in a manufacturing process.
How SMED Works
The ideal goal of SMED is to minimize time from good part A changeover to good part B repeatedly occurring in under 10 minutes. As it is applied to more than die changeouts, it is also known as Quick Changeover. Changeover Time is a measurement of the time lapsed between when the last good piece of product A comes off and the first good piece of product B starts.
Value of SMED/Quick Changeover
The benefits of SMED/Quick Changeover below deliver accountability in process and customer satisfaction and support a continuous improvement culture.
- Improved Throughput Velocity (speed of production)
- Improved Safety (improves operational practices and lowers opportunities for risky events to occur)
- Proper staff training with right equipment
- Cross-functional Teamwork
- KPI-driven goals and objectives